On rare occasions, we can’t fly from our chosen launch site for one reason or another. So, in order to be able to fly, the pilot will decide to move the flight to our nearest suitable backup site. If we have to change launch site for reasons outside of our control, we will write this very clearly on our Flight Status page that you will be checking the day before your flight to also see at what time the flight is called on in the morning.
Although it’s rare to have to move a flight, there could be a number of reasons for doing so. It could for instance be that the intended launch field has become waterlogged after heavy rain or it could be a wind direction taking the balloon towards a large lake or a large area of dense forest, etc. The pilot’s main priority is your safety and a flight would not be moved to a backup site unless there is a very good reason to do so.
Montalcino Backup Site: Torrenieri/Sasso di Sole winery or Buonconvento
Montepulciano Backup Site: Pienza/Val d’Orcia or Montisi
Monte Chiaro Backup Site: Siena launch site and meeting point (Casetta)
Avignonesi: If we need to use a backup site further away from the lake, we will still meet in the usual place and provide transport.
Montisi: It is very unusual to have to use a backup site from this location but if we do, we will still meet in the usual place and provide transport.
Cortona: If we need to use a backup site further away from the Chianti hills, we will still meet in the usual place and provide transport.
Siena: We will always meet at our main take-off site at Casetta. We will either take-off at Casetta where we meet or we will take you to one of our other 3 launch sites we have in the immediate vicinity of Siena. Our aim is to choose the site that will give us the best possible flight depending on the wind direction.